Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Paternoster Restaurant



This menu from 1983 shows the famous Paternoster restaurant run by Ernst and Gail Stuhler. Ernst was the multi skilled chef and Gail ran the front of the house. From memory this restaurant ran for 9 years, full to capacity every night. The food and its presentation was absolutely spectacular.The menu is very attractive as you can see, unfortunately its size makes scanning difficult. All entrees came to the table with a different ice sculpter, desserts on trolley with any number of different fantastic creations including a 1 & 1/2 metre tall emu, even the butter was carved into shapes. Dessert were also accompanied with butter sculptures of various Disney characters. the menu featured a Paternoster special main which was three small portions of different mains. In the desserts, the special uncluded all the desserts on a trolley. Ernst is one of abou 5 "Black Torques" chefs in Australia and competed in several international Culinary Olympics. I have fond memories of this talanted and genial chef. he went on to run very successful pastry shops after the Paternoster which was in Glen Eira Rd Elstenwick.

2 comments:

  1. I used to go here every 3 months as that’s how far ahead you had to book. I would always order a whole cray/lobster that would be served propped horizontally so that It’s tail sliced in medallions stepped down its back with a dob of red & black caviar alternatively spooned on each step. I think it was called lobster de hommarde de Hawaiian. It was amazing! I think it was a main that did specially for me from an entree (?) it was a head turner as they brought it out to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started my apprenticeship there.

    ReplyDelete